Monday, September 28, 2009

Austin Moments

Hi all,

I'm back in the land of the lawless and I am happy to say that the transition hasn't been as difficult as anticipated. I don't have to create a new life for myself so I've been able to find comfort in my routine and the normalcy of my daily life. I do miss everyone already though! It was so nice to be home... It was so nice to just be. The good thing about being here is that there is something new to do everyday and that is exhilerating, but it can also be exhausting! For now, I am happy and feel good about things. I am trying to keep it all in perspective and to just enjoy it all as much as possible.

My work hours are picking up again but it isn't as overwhelming as before which is nice. I finally feel like I kind of know what I am doing! That being said, I completely confused a student of mine the other day (over past perfect simple) but that is to be expected. I am still learning and I was able to take a lot from that lesson. The best part about teaching is that I get an opportunity to correct it/do better the next time I teach them.

It was really good to see Kim again! She started her new job while I was away and seems to be enjoying it. She has a ridiculous commute of an hour to and from work and we have opposite schedules which isn't much fun. But, we are trying to figure that out and will get to a better place with it. I am happy that she has started her teaching journey here and she seems happy with it as well. I just hope I still get to see her! :)

I promise to blog more and to keep in touch better. The thought of being away from everyone for another year is too much to carry at times, but I have come to terms with that thought by promising myself to continue communicating as much as possible.

For now, here are my Top 10 Austin Moments:

1. Friends and Family.
All of the love, respect, care and support that I felt from home still fills my heart with joy and happiness. I am so fortunate to have such amazing people in my life. Words really aren't enough to describe this feeling but I think you all know what I am trying to say.

2. Google Bacon Scarf.
For those of you that don't know... bacon is back, in a big way! Seriously though, google bacon scarf if you get the chance.

3. Gorilla Bear.
This is the same as 'grow a pair' for those of you that can't hear very well. That's when a guy has small balls and needs to man up, in case you were confused. :)

4. If you have something important to say and want to get people's attention, simply touch your right armpit with your left hand and it's a sure bet- they WILL look at you.

5. Jumping off my Mom's boat dock with Tiff.
Overcoming the fear of just going for it is an incredible feeling, but follow it with a few seconds of free fall and it is one of those moments where you understand what life is about. Oh, and try to make sure that Theo doesn't follow you, because he will.

6. Pool and lake time.
Relaxing and enjoying friends and family. Not sure if it gets much better than that. Not to mention that you're cheeks will hurt from laughing so much.

7. Late night creek-side.
Sitting on the rocks, overlooking the water and talking about life. Good times! The world's worst Bloody Mary couldn't even ruin that.

8. Mexican Food.
SO GOOD! Polvo's, El Chilito and my Mom's fajitas all shared with a glorious margarita, or two. Oh, I miss that already.

9. Bud Light.
Sadly, I do miss Bud Light. I'm not sure if its the beer or the time spent talking with friends that I associate with it. Does it matter?

10. Ping Pong Tournaments.
Massive ping pong tournaments that last for hours. I forgot how much fun that is and how, surprisingly, it gets my adrenaline running. I am looking for a ping pong league in Bangkok. I will join one if I can find it but I must admit that I am scared of Asian ping pong players.

I hope you are well and I will talk with you soon! XOXO

1 comment:

  1. kaftan rayon
    Simply gorgeous! Blossoming flowers on the lovely caftan was exclusively hand drawn by the local batik artist. Made of cotton fabric. It is perfect as a lounger all year round.

    * Base Colour : mix
    * Material : 100% Cotton
    * Condition : Brand New without Tag
    * Laundry Care : Machine wash on normal cycle. Do not tumble dry and bleach. Medium iron recommended.
    * Notes : As with most of the hand drawn batik, slight colour smearing might occur.

    This is genuine batik produce by the local artist with tremendous of hand work and patience. Since it is an artwork produced by a human, it always carries the thought, emotions and spirit of the artisan at the time it was created. It' s * imperfections * are the heart of its beauty and part of the art appreciation.

    ReplyDelete