Thursday, May 28, 2009

BKK

Bangkok is a massive city- in fact, its one of the largest in the world with over 13 million people. The city doesn't sleep and there are people milling about at all times of day but even so, the traffic is horrendous! I am so glad they have a good mass transportation system that can navigate one-way-or-the-other around the mess. Otherwise, the city would be miserable.

I have been thrown right into teaching and will start this weekend with 6, 1.5+ hour classes. This may not sound like a lot but to a new teacher, there is a lot of planning that goes into every lesson. I have been at work everyday just preparing for the weekend. I have also been trying to find a place to live which is quite a bit overwhelming because not only do I not know the city, but I don't speak the language. I think I am going to find some short-term accommodation while I figure it out and not stress about it too much.

Today was interesting... I wanted to pick up a package my Mom sent me from DHL. It got commandeered at the airport and I had to go there (which is 45 minutes away from anything) and clear customs before I could receive it. It ended up taking me 3 hours in total! I had to go through no less than 8 security check points and even received a clearance badge for the day. The funny thing is that they didn't take my mace. Hehe. I'm not sure if the Thais know what mace is because I accidentally flew with it once without a problem as well.

I have wondered around the city trying to learn and figure it out and am just overwhelmed with curiosity and excitement. I really do love it here! I know I will be happy living here for a year and look forward to getting used to it.

In the meantime, I want to go ahead and list my top 10 curiosities about BKK:

1) How do they fit 7 people in a Tuk-Tuk? (Think pedi-cab but motorized and with 3 wheels- it's small though!)

2) Why do the girls wear huge heels if they're going to walk all day?

3) Is it really humanly possible to eat something that spicy without sweating, crying, or both?

4) How many "Nana" couples can you spot in one day? ("Nana" means older farang man with a younger Thai lady.)

5) Where did the cement on my shoe come from? And more importantly, did I leave a footprint?

6) Where is the mother of that unattended kid begging near the subway?

7) How are you not sweating in this sweltering heat?

8) What exactly is that you want me to eat??!?!?!?!

9) Is it really that terrible to eat McDonald's?

10) What part of "kor toyt ka, mai ow ka" (I'm sorry, I do not want) don't you understand?????

Hope you are all well. I miss and think about you a lot!

2 comments:

  1. We're glad you are having fun and hope you don't end up sleeping in the streets.

    There is nothing wrong with McDonald's. It saved us from starvation in the Madrid airport and we enjoyed every bite.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have a hard time believing that one can starve in the Madrid airport! :) Haven't slept in the streets (yet) and I move into my new place today. I am very excited!

    ReplyDelete