Friday, May 22, 2009

CELTA

Phew!!!! I finished my CELTA course today and I passed! It was a lot of hard work but I am glad that I did it. It definitely helped prepare me and I was even able to secure a job before I finished the course. We had a big party last night with the students where they brought us local food, danced, gave us gifts and we gave them certificates. I actually ate a fried cockroach which I've never done before. It wasn't that bad but I don't plan on making it a habit...

I accepted a teaching position in Bangkok at International House (www.ihbangkok.com). They actually put on the CELTA course so I know that the school is well-run. My biggest fear has been accepting a job where they school doesn't deliver on their promises (or payment) so having this peace of mind is invaluable to me. I am going to be paid 35,000 Baht/month for the first two months and then it increases to 40,000 Baht/Month. That may sound like a lot but it is actually $1,026 and $1,173/month. Surprisingly, it puts me in the middle class here in Thailand!

I am excited but also sad to leave all of my friends here in Chiang Mai. We have grown really close, having spent so much time together over the past month. I have actually cried a few tears just thinking about it. I am avoiding the task of packing because the reality of the move is a bit scary. I don't really know anyone in Bangkok and I will have to create a life of my own, in a foreign place where I don't speak the language. I'm sure I'll be fine- Bangkok is a very international city where people speak English a lot- but the customs are different and they hike up the prices for Farang so I will have to get used to that and figure the city out.

It's still really hot but the rainy season starts soon which should help the weather cool down. I am excited for my last weekend of freedom before I start work. It has been a 3 months since I have worked and I really enjoyed my holiday. But, it's time to start making some money again. :)

I love and miss you all and will blog again once I'm in BKK. XOXO

1 comment:

  1. Am enjoying living vicariously thru your adventures. And I would have loved to have a cool teacher like you! And remember that kids don't know if you don't teach according to your plan! Just continue to be flexible. You'll do great.Life in the RE world keeps going onward and things are good, though a bit harder. Just the cycle, I know.

    ReplyDelete